Sunday, March 22, 2009

New Shoes and 14Ks

This morning I ran 14kms with friends. Well, when I say ran "with", I mean more like "near" as I am the slowest of the bunch (yes call me tortoise). My pace is not great at the moment. Partly due to a lot of laziness in 2008 as far as running is concerned. And partly due to an over eager dog that knocked me off my feet 3 weeks ago resulting in an ankle injury that has limited my running. But I am happy to say the ankle is not 95% better, and just fine for running!

I was helped along this morning by:
:: seeing my friends red shirt up ahead pushing me to keep up my pace.
:: singing songs to myself (in my head of course, not enough breath to sing out loud). Note to self: take ipod even on group runs in case you are not with the pack and need a little help keeping motivated.
:: and thirdly by new shoes.

That's right. New shoes. So much for my "buy no clothes or shoes" year. But I decided not to apply the limit to running shoes. My chances of finding appropriate running shoes in a second hand charity shop are basically zero. And although I don't technically *need* new shoes. I do *need* them if I want to run longer distances without injury.

It seems Oxfam has recognised this problem and has a campaign to show sports brands that consumers do want ethically produced shoes. Click here for more info.
Mail us your receipts
Each time you buy sports shoes or sportswear, mail us a copy of the receipt with a note saying that you wish you could buy clothes and shoes made under decent conditions. We'll use this evidence of consumer concern to pressure the brands to respect workers' rights by delivering these receipts to sports brands.

So now to mail that receipt and enjoy the shoes.
:)

PS. My husband reading over my shoulder has kindly pointed out to me that perhaps I could find my running shoe second hand on line if I was really that concerned about the issue.

4 comments:

Andrew and Alice Brown said...

14K!! Well done Mandy!!
Alice

Andrew and Alice Brown said...

14k is mental!

I think running shoes are important. Not just any, but ones that really fit well. I have wide feet and not all shoes work for me, and without going to a sports store and trying on 10 different kinds (let alone sizes) it's very difficult to find shoes that won't cause pain.

Maybe you could abuse the shoe fitting system, find a pair of shoes that fit perfectly, but then don't buy them, and find those ones second hand. A mission though!

-Andrew

Sharyn said...

I think generally it's not a good idea to buy second hand running shoes - running shoes break down really fast and don't give you the support you need. Plus, everyone runs differently so they probably would have moulded to their owners feet and therefore might hurt your feet/knees/hips. Running is so hard on your body so best to really protect yourself with good shoes.

Mandy said...

Thanks A&A - I was pretty proud of myself to. Although no time for gloating, I have another 7km to conquer!

Sharyn - I totally agree. Running is hard on your body, and I really did notice a huge difference when I got my first pair of properly fitted running shoes a few years ago. Right now I am just glad that I have a lovely new pair of shoes that are "working perfectly" and I won't have to think about the ethical implications of shoe buying again for sometime ;)