Friday, May 20, 2011

Swiss Suffrage Shock

I was sitting in my politics lecture this week busily taking notes and being impressed by Swiss style democracy.  Switzerland is the closest example we have of direct democracy in modern society.

On average there are 7 referendums per year in Switzerland.  Major policy decisions and all changes to the constitution are decided via referendums.   The reliance on referendums dates back to 1848.  It has led to a very stable government and, contrary to what you might initially think, is a very efficient and progressive system.  For example the referendums have led to approving legislation regarding carbon taxation and recognition of same-sex partnerships .  Voting in referendums is not compulsory and voters tend to be well informed.  As opposed to what we see in modern representative democracies - politicians are part-timers without huge media prestige. 

However, just as I was thinking yay
for the Swiss, the lecture said:

"Switzerland did not grant women the vote until 1971"

I said:  "Gasp"
I mean I actually, literally, audibly gasped. 

And a number of swivel necked and primarily female students turned to look at me.  They seemed nonplussed by the information and but apparently surprised by my shock.  It's not that these students are mute.  They can raise a decent "murmur" when something piques their interest.

Why did these other students seem unsurprised by what the lecture had said but so shocked by my gasp? I have a few theories:

1. They already knew about this appalling example of the abuse of women's rights and were surprised that I did not already know this.  How could any self respecting female politics student not know this?

2. They were not actually listening to the lecture as they were too busy robotically taking notes.  Of course when they read over these notes as part of their exam preparation their shocked gasp will bring their parents or other house mates running to see what the matter is.

3. They are all so terribly young that 1971 sounds like such a long time ago.  Any time in history that predates the internet and Twilight must have been so horribly primitive that they are surprised anyone had the vote, let alone women.  Of course for someone born just 3 years after 1971 it seems unspeakably outrageous that the women's suffrage movement in Switzerland had to fight so long for this basic sign of respect.

4. They just didn't care.  They have been born into a time and place where their rights as women to vote, get an education and pursue any career of their choice are unquestioned.  Unfortunately these rights are now taken for granted, and consequently are undervalued.

I find it quite astounding and disturbing that Switzerland took so long to grant women the vote.  And I wonder long would it have taken for women to achieve the right to vote in Australia if the issue was decided by a referendum amongst male voters? 

For a time line of women's suffrage in Switzerland:

As a comparison, here is a link to the a time line of when the vote was granted to women by country:

I have picked out a few examples from the timeline in case you can't be bothered perusing the whole list:
1893 - New Zealand
1902 - Australia
1906 - Finland
1917 - Canada
1918 - UK, Germany, Russia, Ireland,
1920 - US
1924 - Mongolia
1930 - South Africa - Whites only of course
1944 - France
1945 - Italy, Japan, Indonesia
1948 - Israel
1949 - China
1963 - Afganistan, Iran,
1971 - Switzerland
1994 - South Africa - blacks

7 comments:

Ms. Dig said...

Hi Mandy,

I think younger women today are unaware that life hasn't always been this good for women (of course, we still have a way to go to achieve equality). And yes, maybe 1971 does seem like ancient history to them.

I'm of your vintage, and my daughter has just finished school, and I remember her shock at discovering women still don't have equal pay.

BTW, I love your blog. I just stumbled across it today.

Yours in feminist history,
Ms. Dig.

Mandy said...

Hi Ms Dig,
Thanks for you comments and for stopping by :)

I agree with you on "younger women today are unaware that life hasn't always been this good for women". It is very easy to take the current way of the world for granted.

I think that reading (fiction and non-fiction) has helped me to see the long, hard feminist road towards equality and also highlights areas in which there is still a lot of room for improvement - such as the issue of unequal pay that you highlight.

Of course globally the inequality is so much higher than what we encounter in Australia.

Am I right in suspecting that archeology is a "boys club" kind of industry?

Keep up the digging and unicycling!

Ms. Dig said...

Thanks for your reply, and for checking out my blog!

Surprisingly, archaeology is not much of a boys' club in Australia. We had some trailblazing women in the '70s, and a big push for women in archaeology in the early '90s. A lot of academic archaeologists are women, but I'm not sure if we're the majority yet. It's a great industry to work in.

You're right about the inequality on a global scale. I think we're very lucky in Australia.

Cheers,
Ms. Dig.

Frugal Down Under said...

I lived in Switzerland in 1994 for 2 full yrs, at which time I was hired help "The Nanny" while studying Women's Studies. I didn't feel it was very democratic country. Many of the rules were very stifling.

Here are some food for thought for you.

"Appenzell Innerrhoden canton to granted women the right to vote only in 1990!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Most of the hired help were illegals and paid quite poorly.

Sunday is quiet day and other days after 7:30pm. No lawn mowing, no vacuuming, no washing machines...The rule is No Noise allowed on Sundays or after 7:30pm weekdays. Or the cops may come knocking. So all those domestics working full time in other houses had to clandestinely keep their own home clean.

I was friends with a swiss woman who was unwed but had a 5yr old to her live in, working, long time Italian partner. If anything happened to her, her estranged parents would have the rights to her child but not the child's father due them not being married.

I might be biased as it was a unhappy 2 yrs of work work work and making friends was super hard. I only made 4 where as I usually am surrounded by happy people. I felt stifled and as if I was in a police state.

Mandy said...

Ms Dig - nice to hear of an industry welcoming more women!

Frugal Down Under - wow, that sounds like an awful experience, and a dreadful place to live. Don't think I would fit in there - I am far too noisy! Thanks for sharing your first hand experience.

Brett said...

Aboriginal people did not have the right to vote in Western Australia until 1962.

Mandy said...

Brett, shocking isn't it!
Australia has such an awful human rights record. Unfortunately recent events re: both indigenous people and immigrants (especially asylum seekers) shows that nothing much has changed in the national cultural attitudes.