Friday, September 2, 2011

Disclaimer & The Importance of Laughing in Earnest.

I forgot to mention - my daily blog for September will be happening on The Vegan Apprentice.

I have a few posts in mind for this blog this month, but daily?  No, not going to happen.  Not this month anyway.

Although, come to think of it, I could just about do a post a day with patient bloopers collected over my years in general practice.  Lately some of my patients have, inadvertently I am sure, upped the ante in the bloopers stakes.  Hmmm, or maybe its a plot.  Something along the lines of "Try and make Mandy laugh in a patients face".  If that is the case, so far I am winning.  I always manage to keep a straight face.  Well, at least until the consultation is over.  I do have some decorum!

It's probably not a devious plot.


In fact maybe it is a good plot.  One designed to bring me more laughter.  And I do love to laugh.  And then I get to laugh about it again when I come home and tell my husband.


(It's not a plot at all is it?)

Anyway, here is an example from this week:
After examining a reasonably well 9 year old boy:
Me: He has a head cold and does not need any antibiotics.  (This is the abbreviated version).
Mother: Do you have time for one more question?
Me: Sure
Mother: I have been trying to teach him how to breathe. Do you have any tips on teaching children how to breathe?
I would love to hear your bloopers.   Opportunities for laughter should be shared.  
PS. No patients where harmed in the writing of this blog post.  Confidentiality upheld at all times.  :)

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Well now I am going to have to read through your entire backlog of posts to find all of the patient bloopers! You could so devote an entire blog to them :)

Mandy said...

Hey Maureen,
Oh dear, I hope you didn't go looking for bloopers in old posts as you may be a tad disappointed. There are a few other stories about being a GP, but not bloopers.
I will post a few more bloopers soon, promise :)

Maureen said...

I didn't get too far, I had about 10 tabs open at the time and as usual forgot what I was doing ;)