Thursday, February 26, 2009

In search of understanding.

I have been involved in a few interesting and unexpected discussions recently.

I have been affected by 2 in particular.
:: One with a person who was previously only a "work mate" but I was pleased to find was more of a "kindred spirit" (to steal a term from Anne of Green Gables) than I had imagined.
:: And one that I am still processing.

Reminds me again that listening is often better than talking. I wish that I was better at listening, understanding, internalising and processing on the spot. I also wish I was less prone to assuming, in tense/difficult situations, that I might have anything helpful to say. In some situations I wonder if there is anything at all to be said that can be helpful.

I know that it is important to be open in order to build relationships, but retrospectively feeling that you have shared too much of yourself is an unpleasant experience that I don't wish to repeat too often (if ever).

Nice to know that there are kindred spirits out there. We all need to feel understood sometimes.

4 comments:

Andrew and Alice Brown said...

I know the feeling! It's a rare find :)

Mandy said...

That's why friends like you are so valuable Alice.
:)

Andrew and Alice Brown said...

It was actually me (andrew) who wrote that comment but I'm sure the feeling is mutual :)

Mandy said...

Hi Andrew.
Thanks.
Not the first time the Andrew/Alice comment has confused someone.
:)