Monday, December 1, 2008

December: Non Fiction Read-a-thon

I have toyed with a few ideas for my December challenge to myself. I finally decided a few days ago that I was going to set myself a goal of reading 4 non-fiction books. When I mentioned this to my husband he suggested that perhaps a more realistic goal would be 1 non-fiction book. I am sure he meant it as a helpful suggestion. Hmm, he knows me to well!

I have a bad habit of intending to read non-fiction, and sometimes starting to read non-fiction, but rarely actually completing a book of non-fiction. So much easier to curl up with an engrossing novel after work than to apply my mind to concepts, arguments and critical thinking. Blatant mental laziness!

So here goes. I am aiming to read 4 books, even if just to try and prove my husband wrong in his estimation of my reading stick-ability (yes I am a bit stubborn and competitive). I have a bunch of writers and subjects in mind so the first step in the challenge will be choosing what to read first.

6 comments:

Mel said...

Hey Mandy, I've been having similar thoughts about reading more non-fiction. But, like you, I often start them and never finish :( If you get stuck toward the end of the month you could always grab a couple of the 'A Very Short Introduction' series... is that cheating? I just finished 'Psychology' and I've got 'Law' and 'Journalism' lined up next. They're very non-daunting entry points into interesting subject areas... and even I can read them cover to cover!

Mandy said...

Hi Mel, glad to hear that someone else shares my struggles! Thanks for the tip. I was thinking of focusing on philosophy this month but the philosophy books that David checks out of the library often seem quite daunting. I just checked the on-line local library catalogue. They have "Philosophy: A very short introduction" on the shelf. Sounds like the perfect place for me to start!

Andrew and Alice Brown said...

coincidentally, I too have been trying to get into introductory philosophy books.
in my short experience though, it still seems as if the people writing the introductory books still don't get where everyone else is. they appear to use language and expect you to know things that I only know through other forays into philosophy.

if your book turns out to be good, I'll have to get it out for myself.

make sure you don't get "philosophy - the basics" by nigel warburton, it's terrible

Damian said...

Andrew/Alice, I've been considering buying Warburton's book and it gets some pretty good reviews over at Amazon. Would you mind going into why it's terrible?

(BTW, Nigel Warburton is a co-host of the Philosophy Bites podcast which I highly recommend)

Mandy said...

Hi Damian,
Your post led me to check out the Philosophy Bites website - thanks for the tip off.
I am downloading a couple right now.
Can you listen to interviews re: the meaning of life while jogging??
I am about to find out :)

Damian said...

Heh, philosophy is better suited to walking with your hands clasped behind your back whilst wearing a tweed overcoat. :)

And Andrew/Alice, if you are reading this, I'm still keen to hear your thoughts on the Warburton book so I can decide whether it's a mistake to buy it.

Cheers and cheers.