Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Supermarket Splurge.

I went to the supermarket yesterday for the first time for over 7 weeks.

I had already been all over Rangiora (the town where we live) yesterday sourcing all the bits and pieces required for the special Christmas meals I have planned and stocking up on a few other things.

I went to:
* The local fruit and veggie shop. I just love the luscious stone fruit at this time of year.
* Bin Inn, of course toting my own containers to fill
* The pet shop
* The Gingerbread House: a delightfully quaint lolly shop just off the main street
* The local bakery. Award winning bakery I might add.
* The local nursery who happened to have plants all on sale at 50% off due to a long closure for the holiday season. I picked up a few lovely bargains!
* And even The Warehouse: yes I know it is a big chain store but at least it is NZ owned and they sell the best cat litter.

I walked the length of both sides of High Street but still couldn't find the one particular thing that I really wanted to have on hand for the holidays: Ice cream!! Of course there were a few places selling by the scoop but no local businesses selling by the tub.

So I relented and went to the supermarket. I felt a little conflicted and was quite aware of the fact that no-one actually needs ice cream. But I went anyway. And unfortunately I got a little carried and bought 3 liters! Kilkenny's Maple Syrup and Walnut - unbelievably good. Cookie dough, and good old fashioned vanilla.

3 litres, 3 flavours, and only 3 people to consume them.

O the indulgences permitted in the name of Christmas!

No comments: